//A cesspool in which Johnny Isakson, David Perdue, Barry Loudermilk and all GA Republicans swim like fish in the sea.//
In recent days, Donald Trump and his Republican minions’ lies and their mean and vicious words and deeds have become so flagrant, they leave any normal human being speechless. Their level of depravity has never been equaled in American history. The filth pouring from the mouth of Joe McCarthy when he delivered the worst of his red-baiting lies, slander, and demagoguery never got as bad as what pours forth daily from the Trumpists.
The most cringing result: Sworn testimony of honest professional diplomats who have spent their careers serving the interests of their country reveals beyond the shadow of a doubt that Trump and the Republicans have turned the United States State Department into a cesspool of criminality, character assassination, and conspiratorial intrigue.
Since Donald Trump began his presidential campaign, I have pointed out that he and the Republicans were waging a war against God’s 10 Commandments, Jesus’ Golden Rule, America’s moral and democratic values, and common human decency. I have pointed out that the war has intensified during his almost three years as president. The most notable feature of that intensification has been the over 13,000 false or misleading statements he has made since assuming office.
Trump’s gross immorality is now laid bare in the Ukraine imbroglio. I will not bother to elaborate in detail. All anyone has to do is to read the day’s front-page headlines, or listen to cable news on the hour, to get the complete story on the depths of corruption and degradation to which Trump and the Republican Party have sunk.
Here are the bare facts:
- Trump months ago launched an effort to bribe Ukraine into opening an investigation into alleged corruption by Joe Biden and his son by threatening to withhold vital U.S. military aid if Ukraine failed to comply
- The threat violated the U.S. Constitution and U.S law, besides being an act of pure gangsterism
- Trump turned to trusted aides, led by Rudolf Giuliani, to carry out this iniquity, outside normal State Department channels. Giuliani, in turn, enlisted the aid of Trump-appointed diplomats, and attempted to suborn professional diplomats, in the effort.
- At one point, Trump held a phone conversation with Ukraine President in which he spelled out his bribery and threats
- A career intelligence officer who was not directly involved in the matter but was once assigned to the White House and had high-level contacts learned about the telephone call from various other officials, who expressed their alarm over what they knew was a wrongful act by Trump
- The intelligence officer turned whistleblower and wrote a report that was placed in proper channels for action. The report became public.
- The White House released a redacted version of the phone call, which made clear Trump’s bribery. The full transcript has not been released.
- In a televised press conference, Trump’s own Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney corroborated the whistleblower’s charges and explicitly admitted there had been a quid pro quo.
- Trump and his Republican apologists continued to tell lies and make false and misleading statements in a desperate effort to cover up the attempted bribery. They repeated the mantra “no quid pro quo” in an attempt to justify what Trump had done.
- Doubling down on their depravity, the Trumpists vilified the whistleblower as lying and using uncorroborated information
- Democrats in the U.S. House launched an impeachment inquiry
In a display of courage in support of truth and honesty, a plethora of professional career federal employees defied Trump’s orders and appeared before the House Intelligence Committee to provide statements that fully corroborated the whistleblower’s statement with facts from their own experiences that showed the depths of the crimes and malfeasance Trump and his minions had committed.
Some of Trump’s own appointees—reluctantly—joined in the corroboration.
And in a bombshell move, Gordon Sondland, a Trump political appointee as ambassador to the European Union and one of the central figures in Trump’s Ukraine extortion conspiracy, revised his previous testimony and admitted that there had, indeed, been a quid pro quo at the heart of the Ukrainian matter.
But it was the stunning testimony of career diplomat Marie Yovanovitch, former Ambassador to Ukraine that revealed the depths of the warped, twisted, and depraved mentality of Trump and his lackeys like Rudolf Giuliani.
When Yovanovitch refused to go along with the bribery scandal, Trump initiated a campaign of character assassination to destroy her career. He succeeded in having her removed as ambassador, and, in the process, inflicted grievous emotional suffering on her.
And even more devastating testimony on the Ukrainian affair and Trump’s character assassination of Ambassador Yovanovitch was delivered by Deputy Assistant Secretary of State George Kent, who oversaw Ukraine policy. Corroborating all the other officials who had testified, Kent left no doubt that Trump was attempting to bribe the Ukrainians into interfering in U.S. elections to serve his own political interests.
Kent in his written statement declared that Trump demanded that Ukraine’s new president, Volodymyr Zelensky, announce investigations into the 2016 U.S. election, Trump’s former rival Hillary Clinton and former vice president Joe Biden, in exchange for an Oval Office meeting.
Trump “wanted nothing less than President Zelensky to go to a microphone and say investigations, Biden and Clinton,” Kent told House impeachment investigators.
Kent also lambasted Giuliani for waging what he described as a “campaign of lies” aimed at Yovanovitch in an effort to force her removal as ambassador because he and Trump saw her as an obstacle to their bribery scheme. Kent said that throughout March 2019, Giuliani trafficked in “slander” designed to get Yovanovitch, fired. She was abruptly recalled to Washington in May 2019.