//Georgia’s morally and intellectually corrupt Republicans continue their march through Georgia//
The AJC has recently published reports on how Georgia Republicans swim well within the mainstream of Trump’s Party by not giving a damn about the suffering of our less fortunate and elderly citizens.
Medicaid limit, OBGYN shortage in Georgia hamper efforts
- The U.S.’s maternal mortality rate is among the highest of the developed world. Georgia has consistently ranked among the worst of U.S. states and more often than not – 60% of the time, according to one recent state estimate – those deaths were preventable.
- A recent state study estimated new mothers in Georgia were 52% more likely to die in the first year after giving birth than nationally…The situation is far worse for women who live in rural parts of the state or are older than 35.
- The most glaring disparity is by race. Black mothers in Georgia are three to four times more likely to die than white women,
- A bipartisan state House committee that studied the deepening crisis recommend that the state extend Medicaid coverage for poor mothers–but broader budget fights threaten to sideline it this legislative session.
- A state audit identified damning new evidence that Georgia’s system to protect seniors and vulnerable adults from abuse, neglect and exploitation is failing and the breakdowns are causing additional harm.
- Investigators from Georgia’s Adult Protective Services system are taking too long to respond to urgent cases
- APS employees also were rejecting reports that should have been investigated, the audit found.
- Failures of law enforcement to communicate with APS play prominently in the breakdowns