I have no doubt that many liberals and Democrats, including well-educated ones, are misinformed about Republicans and conservatives—and vice-versa. But let’s keep focused on the practical, every day consequences of how the two sides think and act.
Republicans are avidly supporting a racist, xenophobic, misogynist, anti-intellectual agenda. In fact, since Trump became president, the more extremist, demagogic, and unyielding Trump becomes in pursuing his extremist agenda, the more vociferously Republicans support him.
Trump tells baldfaced lies about Obama’s birthplace and about the degree of criminality among Hispanic immigrants, refers to the migrants as “animals,” and demeans the military service of John McCain, and Republicans scream their approval–and Republicans and Democrats are all the same?
If what Trump and the Republicans are doing is so noble and good, why do they have to constantly lie about it to defend it? Plus, name me the Democratic equivalent of someone who has:
- Made over 10,000 false or misleading statements as President
- Mocked a handicapped person
- Locked up children in concentration camps
- Praised neo-Nazi demonstrators chanting “Jews will not replace us”
- Run a political campaign overtly supporting racism, xenophobia, and white nationalism
- Used fear-mongering and race-baiting to support that campaign
- Incited his followers to violence
- Bragged about sexually assaulting women
- Impugned the integrity of a respected judge on the basis of his ethnic origin.
- Called various women bimbo, dog, ugly, of low intelligence, and “Miss Piggy”
- Approved Howard Stern’s calling Ivanka “a piece of a–“
- Belittled a Gold Star American mother
- Praised the murderous thugs Putin and Kim Jong Un
- Called foreign countries “s—holes”
- Supported torture