“To put it as bluntly and succinctly as possible, Senator Isakson: General Mattis confirms everything I ever said about you.”
Dear Senator Isakson,
I have chronicled the disservice you have done to your country and the desecration of your office by your lap-dog support for Donald Trump. You have supported Trump and his fellow Republicans’ wholesale assault on the Constitution, the rule of law, America’s basic moral and democratic values—and on common human decency.
You reached a new low when you stood by Trump in the 2018 elections, as he waged an overtly racist and xenophobic campaign, fueled by hate-mongering, fear-mongering, and race-baiting. Johnny Isakson gave not a damn as Trump talked about Hispanic migrants as Hitler talked about the Jews.
This blog provides details on my views that I will not duplicate here. Links to a few of my favorites:
- Georgia Republicans Follow Trump into the Sewer
- Conservatives Denounce Trump
- Georgia Republicans Comfortable with Colleagues’ Racist Speak
- Georgia Republicans Firmly in Ranks of Tut-tut Republicans
(This one is tailor made for you, Senator, published May 14, 2018. Excerpt: “Pigs will fly before (Georgia Congressional Republicans) exercise any oversight of the Trump Executive Branch.”
- Georgia’s U.S. Senators Isakson and Perdue Swim Happily in Trump’s Sewer
- The Republican/Segregationist Analogy Gains Steam
- The Lies of Johnny Isakson
Johnny Isakson’s Continued Kowtowing to Trump Disgraces His Office
11/12/18 (one of my all-time favorites)
Republicans Mimic the Segregationists and Unleash the Wolves of Hate
Of course, Senator Isakson, you have not bothered to respond to my criticism. But after all, I am only one of your constituents, and, to you, not a particularly important one, since I do not contribute to your campaign chest. Besides, I’m probably just one more Democrat/liberal/progressive unleashing standard fare against another noble Republican.
But overnight, we have been given a whole new standard by which to judge Trump-worshipping politicians like you. It was delivered by General Jim Mattis, in a letter he wrote on December 20 announcing his resignation in protest of President Trump’s decision to withdraw American forces from Syria and Trump’s rejection of international alliances.
To put it as bluntly and succinctly as possible, Senator Isakson: General Mattis confirms everything I ever said about you.
The letter is a stunning rebuke of everything you and Donald Trump stand for—and a rousing affirmation of everything I, and the overwhelming majority of Americans, stand for. Let me quote from the New York Times report:
- Mr. Mattis’s resignation letter was the sharpest, and most public, protest from inside the Trump administration over the president’s rejection of the alliances and relationships that have underpinned American security since the end of World War II.
- …it condemned Mr. Trump’s approach to the world as destructive to American influence and power.
- He said the core of American national interests lay in “providing effective leadership to our alliances,” and specifically described the importance of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, a defense alliance Mr. Trump has often derided. Mr. Mattis also praised the “Defeat ISIS” coalition that Mr. Trump just abandoned in Syria.
- But Mr. Mattis’s core complaint was that Mr. Trump had lost sight of the importance of the competition for global power with Russia and China, who want “a world consistent with their authoritarian model.” (Read Jim Mattis’s Letter to Trump: Full Text)
In short, Senator Isakson, General Mattis looked at you and said “Johnny Isakson has no clothes.” You stand nakedly revealed, Senator Isakson, as someone who has betrayed his country by your boot-licking support of Donald Trump. Exactly as I have been telling you for the past two years. And specifically noted in two postings on this blog:
How Has Johnny Isakson Betrayed America? Let Us Count the Ways
Senator Isakson, Stop Betraying Your Country over Russia
Johnny Isakson betrayed his country and besmirched and desecrated his office by supporting an incompetent, inept, ill-informed, narcissistic, racist, misogynist, bullying, congenital liar to be President of the United States.
Isakson, you become more incredulous by the minute. It’s 10:30 AM on December 21. In the hours since Mattis released his letter yesterday, one United States Senator and Congressman after another has spoken or written in support of him.
But Johnny Isakson is once more nowhere to be seen or heard.
And God forbid, Senator Isakson, that you would seek some element of redemption by taking the only step a United States Senator can take to save America from Donald Trump: immediately announce your support for Trump to be impeached and removed from office as soon as possible.
Have you lost your moral conscience, Senator Isakson—or did you just never have one to begin with?
December 20, 2018, was a watershed date in America for more than Mattis’ resignation:
- ‘A tailspin’: Under siege, Trump propels the government and markets into crisis
- Upheaval in National Security, Government and the Markets: Here’s the State of Play
- Read Jim Mattis’s Letter to Trump: Full Text
- Jim Mattis’s unmistakable repudiation of Trumpism, annotated
- This time, the United States is betraying more than just the Kurds, allies say