To those of you Democrats enmeshed in endless debate over details of the Mueller report: please drag yourselves out of the weeds, stop just preaching to the choir, and start delivering the American people a message to win the 2020 elections.
Yes, the next step must be to make sure the whole report is released, along with supporting documents. But, please, stop arguing over whether collusion occurred or whether Trump (or his subalterns) did or did not commit a crime called collusion. Whatever you’re going to say about Mueller’s report and Barr’s memo, just drop the word collusion altogether. Whatever the nuances, Mueller is clear: collusion did not occur.
What message relevant to the 2020 do Democrats need to deliver about the Mueller report? Here’s my minimalist version:
“No collusion” in the 2016 presidential campaign? So what? Here’s what we know from the Trump/Republican track record of the past two years:
- Trump is an asset for Vladimir Putin. Trump is implementing the foreign policies that have Putin’s stamp of approval. He is destroying the Western alliance nurtured by every President since WWII and insulting the leaders of our strongest allies, leaving the United States increasingly isolated internationally. Trump does all that while ignoring the deeds of the murderous thug Putin.
- Trump’s willingness to kiss Putin’s behind reached its current nadir in his obsequious kowtowing to Putin at their summit in Helsinki
- Trump accepts the word of this tyrant over the conclusions of U.S intelligence services about Russian interference in our elections. This act, alone, poses a threat to U.S. national security far beyond colluding with Russia during the 2016 campaign.
- Trump, to this day, has not implemented one serious measure, much less passed a law, to strengthen our defenses against Russian cyber warfare designed to warp our elections.
- Trump showed his willingness to sacrifice American interests on the altar of pandering to Putin by ushering Russian emissaries into the Oval Office and bragging to them that firing Comey served the cause of good U.S.-Russian relations–and revealed sensitive intelligence reports in the process.
- The whole Trump organization’s dependence on Russian money is staggering in its implications for posing a threat to U.S. national security. Any individual so financially beholden to an enemy country would be denied a security clearance, and giving him a job would be unthinkable.
What American exposed to the above empirical evidence would not believe it’s why our national security agencies deny Jared Kushner a security clearance? And what ignorant yahoo would fail to see the frightening implications of Trump’s going ahead and giving Kushner a clearance?
It’s not just that Jared is a potential security risk. Trump’s decision brazenly displays the extent to which he is a Russian puppet and poses a threat to U.S. national security far surpassing any collusion in the 2016 election.
Just as I was marshalling my plea to Democrats to get themselves out of the muck and mire of the Mueller/Barr imbroglio and start delivering a forward-looking winning 2020 message, other voices more elegant than mine have already spoken.
George Will, one of America’s prominent conservative voices who quit the Republican Party in disgust over what a moral and intellectually bankrupt party it had become under Trump.
Thanks to Mueller, 2020 won’t be about 2016
Thanks to Mueller, the 2020 campaign will not be about the 2016 campaign. It will be about a post-Trump future — if unhinged Democrats can stop auctioning themselves to their party’s most clamorous factions, thereby making Trump seem to be what Mueller’s report does not say that he is: acceptable.
… Russia could pursue its ends without coordinating its activities with a campaign rife with lowlifes and bottom-of-the-barrel Republican operatives.
(Mueller’s report) is a gift to the nation, which now knows what was already a reasonable surmise: that its chief executive’s unlovely admiration for a repulsive foreign regime, Vladimir Putin’s, is more a dereliction of taste and judgment than evidence that he is under that regime’s sway.
An embarrassed nation aches for a president who is one thing: normal. Democrats, however, are looking weirder and weirder while cooking a bouillabaisse of indigestible ingredients…
And, Lo and Behold, President Obama
Obama cautions freshman House Democrats about the price tag of liberal policies
Former president Barack Obama gently warned a group of freshman House Democrats Monday evening about the costs associated with some liberal ideas popular in their ranks, encouraging members to look at price tags, according to people in the room.
…some people in the room took his words as a cautionary note about Medicare-for-all and the Green New Deal, two liberal ideas popularized by a few of the more famous House freshmen, including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.).
“He said we [as Democrats] shouldn’t be afraid of big, bold ideas — but also need to think in the nitty-gritty about how those big, bold ideas will work and how you pay for them,” said one person summarizing the former president’s remarks.